As we celebrate the new year and think about what we want to accomplish, now is the perfect time to create a will and ensure that your estate plan is in order. Planning your Will and Power of Attorney is one of those things that’s easy to put off, and you may be telling yourself that you’ll get around to it soon, but make 2022 the year that you actually do it.
We never know what will happen in life, so having a will serves as important protection for both you and your family, as well as your business and assets. Our team at SCC Legal will be happy to answer any questions you have along the way.
How do I create a will in NJ?
The first step is to contact a trusted estate planning attorney. They will be able to explain the process, assist you with all of the paperwork, and ensure your Will and Power of Attorney documents are legal and valid. Here are the steps you can expect to take while creating your will:
- Decide which of your properties you want to include in your will. This includes your home, your business, and any additional residential or commercial properties you own.
- Who will inherit your properties? Whether it’s your children, siblings, close friends, or someone else, you must name someone as the inheritor.
- Nominate an executor for your estate. The executor of a will is the person who ensures the instructions are carried out as you wish.
- Select a guardian for your children. We encourage parents of young children to create a will as soon as they’re born, because it ensures their kids will be taken care of if anything happens to them.
- Work with your estate planning attorney to create your will. Once all the above decisions have been made, your attorney will help you create the documents that make it official.
- Follow the steps to make your will valid and legal. This includes signing in front of two witnesses, and following any final steps as directed by your estate lawyer.
If you have questions about creating a will in NJ, or if you’d like more information on estate planning, please contact our team at SCC Legal today. We look forward to hearing from you.